"An artist is nothing without the gift....but the gift is nothing without work - Emile Zola"

Monday, August 24, 2009

Aurelio "Gob" Talabis de Castro

He’s probably the person who showed me what selflessness and going out of one’s way means. The most patient person ever to endure my friendship. He never gets tired of my senselessness, my dramas and my insensitiveness. He was petnamed "Gob", short for Governor because he had a problem saying no, even to strangers. Even lent his last money to anyone who needs it. At an early age, he’s been my confidant, best friend, supporter, and ally since 6th grade. Remember riding the bike together during week-ends with either home-made sandwiches or bought burgers from fast food joint near the school to keep us full. Hours spent in their home copying his assignment, or he’s literally sweating blood and water while doing my science (and math) project while I’m busy eating and keeping him entertained with my endless talks. I remember he always agreed to pretend as my boyfriend every time I need to get rid of undesirable suitors. He stood by me by taking me to the prom when I run out of options. I’m always a “threat” to his girlfriends, simply because I always win over them. He must have been really annoyed when he needed to choose between me and his girlfriend, cause in reality, he doesn’t really have a choice…it will be me…… He knew how to turn my crap day into a wonder with simple, little things like a Goya lollipop, a peanut butter sandwich bought from the side streets, softdrinks in cellophane with straw or just by telling me what happened to him that day while we’re sitting in the sidewalks. He’s the strongest person I’ve ever seen when he fought cancer with a smile. I can't remember he ever complained about the pain or fear of dying. Never forgot any special occasion of my life. Even planned something for my birthday but was taken by the Lord 5 days before we can celebrate my 19th. He’s always there 24/7 356 days for me. I really hope I’ve been a good friend to him. We have been inseparable since grade school until he passed away in 1992. I still terribly miss him. Especially now.

No comments:

Post a Comment